Monday, March 22, 2010

Wow it worked!

I'm so excited to show how the antlers have progressed. They look exactly like they looked in my head. That doesn't happen often, so I'm over the moon with joy.

Front View
Side ViewBack View

It's hard to see in the pictures but the texture of the antlers is really nice, all rough and organic feeling. I know I have some more work to do when I get the wax castings back but I'm just so happy with how they are coming along. I'll keep you posted.

And if you are asking yourself how are these antler going to stay on the doll's head? This is a question I have grappled with also. In the sketches you see that one drawing shows a head band with what appears to be the antlers broken off. That is going to be a structural head band that the antlers attach and unattach to. Cool ha! Here's my first run at the head band, in copper.

I like the shape so I'm going to move onto building it in silver. For all kinds of reasons the copper snapped when I tried to bend it to fit on the head model, but that was all user error, so I feel confident to move onto silver.

And if that's not enough, I was busy all weekend at an amazing jewelry workshop with a fabulous teacher. I'll tell you all about it later this week. I made the funnest "Alice in Wonderland-ish" pendant. So stop back later in the the week.


monika viktoria said...

Paige, I am so super excited to see your progress on these.

Since I'd been mulling over antlers for fern, too, I've been thinking of how to have they stay attached to her head as well. Nothing as elaborate as yours, though.

Michelle Ross said...

I had the pleasure of seeing these in person. They are fantastic.... the photo doesn't do them justice. They will be worthy of drooling when done in silver!

The Vintage Kitten said...

Wow that will look great in Silver!